The purpose of a home inspection is to provide the consumer with comprehensive information to help them make a confident and informed decision when buying a home.
As we complete your home inspection we have two main goals. Our first goal is to inform you about the status of the structure and systems of the home. The second goal is to explain the unique future maintenance needs of the home.For most of us a house purchase is the largest monetary investment we will ever make. Our job is to give clients as much information as possible about this investment.
What is a Home Inspection?
REASONS TO HAVE A HOME INSPECTION
The most common use for a home inspection is to assist a client in making a more informed purchasing decision. The inspector may also educate the buyer as to typical life expectancies, items to budget for replacement as well as how to take care of and maintain the property.
Due to the education factor of a home inspection, we strongly encourage clients to be present for the home inspection in order to get the most information possible from the inspection.
Home inspections can be used for other purposes as well. Other types of inspections include pre-purchase inspection, new home construction, one-year walk-through inspections, pre-listing inspections and inspections for the purpose of litigation in construction defect cases.
The Commonwealth of Virginia has a volunteer Certification Program (State Certified Home Inspector). Virginia outlines the areas of inspection. This means we will attempt to inspect all of the following (when accessible):
- Roof, vents, flashing and trim
- Gutters and downspouts
- Skylight, chimney and other roof penetrations
- Decks, stoops, porches, walkways, and railings
- Eaves, soffit and fascia
- Grading and drainage
- Basement, foundation and crawl space
- Water penetration and foundation movement
- Heating systems
- Cooling systems
- Main water shut off valves
- Water heating system
- Interior plumbing fixtures and faucets
- Drainage sump pumps with accessible floats
- Electrical service line and meter box
- Main disconnect and service amperage
- Electrical panels, breakers and fuses
- GFCIs and AFCIs
- Fireplace damper door and hearth
- Insulation and ventilation
- Garage doors, safety sensors, and openers
And much more...Our reports are completed and made available within 24 hours of the inspection. The client will receive a detailed home inspection report with narratives, recommendations, and photos of the property and its components. The report will note any major concerns or safety hazards. The report is delivered via email as a PDF document. A hardcopy can be provided at client request.
Other available inspection services:
- Pre-settlement walk through
- Commercial inspections
- Radon Testing (results available in 48 hours)
- Carbon Monoxide Testing
- Mold Consultations
- Building Consultations
- Energy Auditing
- Infrared Thermography